Braces can fix a lot of problems for you
Here are the benefits of wearing braces and how they can fix each issue experienced:
Everyone dreams of having a pearly white smile with a beautiful set of straight teeth. Braces are able to achieve this as they are able to realign crooked teeth. This often has a positive impact on a person’s self-esteem, allowing them to be more themselves and never too shy to smile for the camera.
Fixing bite issues
Bite issues happen when your teeth are not fit together, there are various types of bite issues, each of these has a different impact on your mouth.
- Under bite: This is when the lower teeth and jaw protrude in front of the upper teeth. This is commonly caused by sucking one’s thumb at a young age or using a pacifier for a prolonged period of time. In some cases, it can also be hereditary. This often makes it hard to chew and tires the jaw muscles.
- Overbite: This is when your upper teeth overlap your lower teeth, though normal when this is more pronounced it is referred to as an overbite and needs fixing. This may affect the shape of one’s face. An overbite may cause one to constantly clench their teeth, have headaches, even grinding of teeth, affect speech and cause gum disease at it is hard to practice proper oral hygiene.
- Cross bite: This is when the two corresponding teeth in the upper jaw and lower jaw are misaligned either by being closer to the cheek or closer to the tongue. The teeth, therefore, do not meet correctly when your mouth is closed. They often cause one’s teeth to start chipping, receding gum line, biting of cheeks and jaw issues.
- Dental Crowding: This is when there isn’t enough space for all your teeth to fit in your mouth causing them to be displaced. This prevents proper teeth cleaning, causes tooth decay, and may lead to gum disease and pain and discomfort.
Closing the gaps in between teeth
The most commonly seen gap between teeth is usually in the front teeth but this can occur anywhere with our teeth. There are various causes for gaps in teeth, these include but are not limited to; thumb sucking, incorrect swallowing reflexes, gum disease. Gaps in teeth can lead to poor teeth alignment which can cause bite issues.
Reduce the possibilities of gum disease
Misaligned teeth can often make it hard to practice good oral hygiene as certain areas in your mouth may be unreachable, causing cavities to grow and eventually leading to gum disease. Gum disease erodes the jaw bone leading to the loosening of teeth, bad breath, sore and bleeding gums. The good news is that braces can fix these issues you have all you need to do is contact your orthodontist in order to find the right fix for your dental issues.
Don’t forget to maintain your braces
Now that you have my braces what should you do:
Ensuring that you maintain a strict oral hygiene routine is very important even when you have braces. Ensure that you:
- Continue with your 6 monthly check-ups
- Brush your teeth three times a day
- Use your Christmas tree brush daily
- Floss as often as possible
- Use disclosing tablets to help you maintain good brushing by indicating the areas which have been missed when brushing.
- Ensure that your diet is free from sticky and chewy foods
- When eating cut up your fruits and vegetables to smaller bite-sized pieces
- Cut down on foods high in sugar or acid
Most importantly follow your orthodontist’s advice closely.
If you have any further questions regarding braces or any other orthodontic treatments, don’t hesitate to contact us to book an appointment.